While we make sure to keep our homes clean and proper on the inside, we often forget taking care of the roofs. Did you know, you could avoid leaks, drainage problems, and expensive fixes required in your home year round, by keeping regular checks on the roof and fixing it as and when required. Roof inspection is crucial!
Make sure you run an inspection on the roofs with every new season. This way you can make timely fixes required, before the roof issues get worse or costlier. Here’s a roof inspection checklist for you to ensure a healthy roof:
- Identify areas with moss, algae, and piles of leaves – these areas are notorious for causing costly leaks and water damage.
- Keep your eye out for buckled and curled shingles! Hot air from attics often cause shingles to buckle and curl away from the home, putting your roof and home at great risk for weather damage and poor roof ventilation.
- Look for missing, damaged, and aged shingles – this is the leading cause of roof damage.
- It is so important to clean your gutters and roof overhangs, and maintain your downspouts! As you’re performing these essential tasks, make note of open joins and signs of rot, as these are typical indicators of larger issues.
- Look closely for granule loss (texture on shingles). Granule loss indicates that shingles have aged or have been affected by severe weather, and are no longer protecting your home against damaging storms. If you find that your shingles are no longer textured, it’s time to replace them.
- On top of your roof, inspect your counter flashing. Counter flashing is a metal, waterproof strip installed over areas in need of additional moisture protection. When inspecting, note damaged, cracked, and shrinking sealant around the edges of the counter flashing. If you find that the seal has deteriorated, your roof and attic will be highly vulnerable to water damage.
If you attempt to do a roof inspection on your own, please follow safety precautions to protect yourself. It is not as easy as it looks. If you see that your roof requires repair work, or you want a professional to go up and take a look, contact us at Turnbull Roofing & Renovations Ltd. We have been the pioneers of roofing & insulation services for over 30 years in Durham Region- including Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Pickering & the Clarington area. To get free quote e-mail us at email@example.com or call (905) 579-7663.