How do I know if I need a new roof?
The roof should always be checked. You should keep tabs of its state looking for indications that it is time to get a new roof. The following are signs that you may need a new roof.
- Your roof is between twelve and twenty years old.
- The shingles are excessively cracking, curling, or they are blistering.
- There are many shingles that are missing and/or torn or damaged.
- The roof is leaking in many places.
How much does a new roof cost?
There is no fixed price as to how much a new roof will cost. There are a variety of considerations needed before an estimate can be given. From that information, a price quotation or an estimate could be done. Some of the considerations are:
- Size of roof
- Required materials and equipment
- Location of the house (this is needed to determine which materials would be best for that area’s weather)
- Age of the house (Is it for a new house or a re-roofing?)
- State costs and taxes
- Type of home
After that, you can have several contractors bid on the project to get the best price.
When re-roofing, should I peel off old layers or simply add a new layer of shingles?
It is always recommended that you completely remove any existing layers of shingles/roofing. Adding another layer of shingles to your roof will likely compound the original problem. A complete roofing project starts with a clean roof deck and proper inspection of the surface before a new installation can occur. In order for a Manufacturer’s Warranty and/or /Workmanship Warranty to be valid the existing layers of shingles MUST be removed.
What kinds of questions should I ask a roofing contractor?
Getting a roofing contractor to do your roof needs a little certainty and guarantee. You can ask the following questions to the contractor to erase doubts regarding his/her services:
- Ask your roofing contractor questions with regards to their standing in their field of expertise. It will give you a hint about whether they are really offering quality service to their clients.
- Ask questions with regards to their operation. This includes whether they have necessary permits and licenses to operate such business and if they are carrying insurance in case there are unforeseen incidents that may happen during the construction.
- And lastly, ask questions with regards to the actual roofing constructions and the post-construction services and warranty. Inquire if they can explain to you in layman’s terms how they will construct your roofing, what materials are going to be used, and what services and warranties they offer in case leakages or damages happen to your roof within a time period after construction.
What kinds of questions should I ask about the references of a roofing contractor?
Sometimes, you need referrals from people who know the roofing contractor’s work you are considering, especially when you are unfamiliar with that type of business. Questions like the following can be asked to your references for a roofing contractor:
- Initially, ask questions with regards to their relationship with the contractor. Maybe the contractor is a friend or a relative of your reference. That will give you an idea of how well that reference knows the contractor.
- You can inquire if they have obtained the services of the roofing contractor. Ask them if they have personally witnessed the construction of their roof, and at the same time letting your reference talk about the quality of service.
- Lastly, ask queries on the reliability of their service; if it withstands the different outside elements surrounding the roof. In this way, you will have no longer doubt the integrity of the contractor because the references will tell all the information you need to know.
Turnbull Roofing & Renovations Ltd, is a successful family-run business that has been operating for more than 30 years in Durham Region – including Oshawa, Whitby, Ajax, Pickering & the Clarington area. We specialize in residential roof/shingle replacement & repairs; eavestrough, soffit, fascia & siding replacement as well as fibreglass attic insulation services. If you have any roofing questions , please talk to us.