Keeping in mind, the importance of having a healthy roof to our homes, it’s important to check the condition of your roof as well, as potential hazards can cause considerable roof damage.
If you understand the potential threats, you can inspect your roof first hand. Here are the top 9 things that cause roof damage:
- Top of the list has to be fallen tree limbs. It can cause extensive damage and is easily preventable. Limbs and heavy branches from trees can fall on your home during major storm surges. Not to mention, the tree could be weakened by disease. It doesn’t take much for limbs like these to crack and fall. So take care to occasionally check the trees around your home, and remove any potential falling hazards.
- Fallen leaves, sticks and pine needles from nearby trees can accumulate on your roof and form a wet pile of mulch. This wet pile will cause shingle deterioration and rot.
- Animals can also be an issue. Raccoons and woodpeckers are particularly notorious for taking apart your roof. Woodpeckers will tear up your shingles looking for bugs to eat. Raccoons are always looking for an entrance into your home, and will pry up shingles and vents to do so.
- Poorly maintained gutters can cause water to back up and seep into your roof’s edges. This can also cause rotting.
- Snow and ice can also harm the integrity of your roof, ice can form around the eaves and cause snow to back up. Inevitable thawing and freezing will lift your shingles. This can lead to melting snow and ice seeping into your home.
- Termites can be a major cause of roof damage. Other bugs are also bait for birds that will peck away at your roof system to get to them.
You may have noticed that all of these potential roof hazards have one thing in common: they can lead to water or moisture seeping in and causing rot and leaks. When it comes to roof damage, moisture is the number one culprit. So most importantly, you should not let moisture seep in through the roof because getting a new roof is a major investment. Protect your roof now; contact Turnbull Roofing & Renovations Ltd. and get free quote by e-mailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.